Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 2003 11:14:48 +0100
From:      Eirik Oeverby <ltning@anduin.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sound patch for pop & crackles

--=-XTRBY6AwLvxKppRx6R6V

Hi,

I've now finally managed to test this, a bit later than I anticipated.
It does help the situation quite a lot, but I still have sound problems.
They are much less audible now, as I cannot hear any crackles and pops.
However in music with a steady rythm I notice that every now and then it
must be skipping some frames or repeating some, because the rythm simply
isn't right!=20
I had a hard time believing this, so I made a semi-blind-test (after a
while I could tell which box it was because of the sound signature)
between two machines I have, one 4.9 and one 5.x-CURRENT with your
patch, playing the same files using the same player.=20

System load does not enter the picture, I've tried this both while
running 99% idle and while running make -j 5 buildkernel. I'm on an IBM
ThinkPad T21 with a snd_csa-driven card, 1ghz P3. To me it almost sounds
like when I enabled PCI retries on OS/2 back in the day .. Any idea how
to check this is not enabled here?

/Eirik

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 19:36, Mathew Kanner wrote:
> Hello All,
> 	Could people experiencing pops and crackles try the attached
> patch and set hw.snd.fragps=3D128.   This patch also fixes select on
> vchans.
>=20
> more details in
>=20