Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:14:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
To:        Mikael Hybsch <micke@dynas.se>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with mpd / pptp link between FreeBSD and win98

Mikael Hybsch writes:
> I'm trying to run a pptp link to secure the wireless traffic between
> my FreeBSD server/firewall and a win98 machine. I'm using 2 D-Link 520.
> The D-Link in the FreeBSD server is running in Host-AP mode.
> The wireless link itself works fine.
>
> The problem is that whenever I download a file to the win98 machine the
> pptp connection randomly freezes after a few megabytes and I get the
> message below in /var/log/messages. The number is always around 4000.
> After this I have to reconnect to continue.
> I have tried 40 and 128 bit encryption with the same result.
>
> Oct  7 21:30:56 snaps /kernel: ng_mppc_decompress: insane jump 4083
>
> Does someone have any idea about this?
>
> ===
>
> I just had a quick look at the code and some more debugging shows
> that the new sequence number is less than the current. Does this mean that
> mppc got fed an old packet?
>
> /kernel: ng_mppc_decompress: insane jump 4089: (1690-1697) & 0xfff

Yes. PPP relies on packets not being re-ordered, and the PPTP/GRE
implementation assures this. So something is broken somewhere, either
in FreeBSD or the Windows machine.

Try updating your Win98 with the latest MSDUN1.2 update or whatever.

> On a related issue, there is a new l2tp netgraph module. Is there any
> work in progress to, for example, extend mpd to be able to act as a l2tp
> server?

I'm planning to do this eventually but not soon. Anyone else of
course is free to start hacking on mpd, ppp(8), etc. as well.

-Archie