Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 1996 08:21:47 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Richard Stanford <richards@herald.net>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IP aliassing.

On Tue, 10 Sep 1996, Richard Stanford wrote:

> When specifying IP aliases, I seem to be able to get to them correctly
> whether I specify de0 (network interface) or lo0 as the interface to
> alias.  Most of the examples I have seen use the ethernet IF as the one
> to alias ... is there a reason for this?

I use lo0 for my aliases, but then I have aliased an entire class C
network with the web box as the "gateway" to that net.  So I don't need
the ethernet interface to arp for the IP address.  If you are just using
spare IP addresses from your ethernet network, then you will need to be
able to arp for the IP's.

Danny