Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:34:32 +0100
From:      Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.Strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Matthias F. Brandstetter" <haimat@lame.at>
Subject:   Re: howto software raid under FreeBSD?

--nextPart1241400.7dvNC5urjH

Am Sonntag, 31. Oktober 2004 19:42 schrieb Matthias F. Brandstetter:
> ---------- quoting Emanuel Strobl ----------
>
> > You can use 'atacontrol detach' then powerdown, replace the drive and
> > after booting you can 'atacontrol addspar ar0 ad6' (or what ever drive
> > and array failed) and 'atacontrol rebuild ar0'.
>
> Problem is, that man page says "atacontrol rebuild" is only valid on RAID
> capable ATA controllers. But since I have no such controller, I can't use
> this command.

I don't know why this is in the man page, last time I read it (some years a=
go)=20
it was not in there.
You can use the rebuild command also on non-raid controllers, at least it w=
as=20
possible for me when I did some tests about 3 months ago.
As I can see you're considering gmirror, perhaps that's the better solution=
=20
for you. In all cases, simulate a drive failure, so you do know what to do=
=20
when one drive really fails.

=2DMano