Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 1996 09:42:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Cornejo <dave@dogwood.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   make world on read only filesystem

I have noticed a problem in 'make world' on a read-only /usr/src:

'make bootstrap' rebuilds lex with the command:

make -DNOMAN -DNOPROFILE -DNOLIB all install cleandir obj

the problem is that cleandir removes /usr/obj/usr/src/usr.bin/lex/lib,
(via an rm -rf) ignoring the -DNOLIB while the obj heeds it and
doesn't actually remake .../lex/lib.

This sets up the problem later in make lib-tools where there is no obj
directory for the lex library - so it tries to build it in place.  The
read-only status keeps this from working very well...

I can see two ways of fixing this: do a make obj in the lex/lib dir
before you try to rebuild lex in make lib-tools, or possibly just
change the rm -rf in make cleandir to just rm -f

Should/can it be possible to do what I am trying to do here?  If so,
what is the correct or most correct way to get past this?

--
Dave Cornejo - Dogwood Media, Fremont, California