Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 1996 19:56:36 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, questions@freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Intel Atlantis problems

> > Thanks. Isn't this something that should go in the FAQ ? Or perhaps,
> > could we remove 0x2e8 from
> >
> >     static Port_t likely_com_ports[] = { 0x3f8, 0x2f8, 0x3e8, 0x2e8, };
> >
> > in /sys/i386/isa/sio.c ?
>
> That's the hack.
>
> As to your idea, no.  We should identify the Mach cards, or we should
> relax the invasiveness of the SIO probe code to prevent the problem.

That's a long term thing. I was suggesting a quick hack for the
upcoming snaps-releases.

> Either will fix the problem without screwing those of us who have
> a com4 and have avoided buying Mach hardware because of this bug
> in the Mach chips.

Let me state it differently. At least on the install floppy, it
shouldn't matter much if there is no probe at 0x2e8.  And this can
avoid people with Mach cards give up because they don't see the
screen anymore.

As for people with com4: it's just a matter of booting with -c to
set their parameters properly. It's very likely they have to do it
in any case (perhaps for other special devices, or because the IRQ
does not match, or whatever).

Anyways, I am ok, now that I know the trick. But somebody does not
have a second system to build a custom kernel.

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/