Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 1999 15:18:38 GMT
From:      "Greg W" <redhat_list@hotmail.com>
To:        eirvine@tpgi.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Broken X and window managers

It is the one they ship Internationally, version 3.3, sorry not sure if
stable or release, although I would deem those words as mostly the
same.......

I did a novice install, the machine is nothing fantastic, 100mhz Pentium,
16MB ram, 2 HDD IDE , boot drive 540 mb which has / /boot etc , second disk
is 850MB /usr , all seemed to go ok after 3 attempts (this was my first use
of FreeBSD or a proper UNIX derivative. Install went along ok, could not
fire up X at end, so over next few days, when time permitted, I would have a
shot at it, at first the card I had was a SIS, there a bit sus under most
OS's so I changed it for a Matrox 220 (I have access to a few cards here) ,
setup X by using command prompt an XF86Setup , all goes ok setting up, and
can save a config file, OK , great me thinks.

I used the command startx to fire it up, first had an error  "no
Gnome-session" , so just for the hell of it, I tried xinit then just X in
case there was some other (well I dont know ) thing.

Right about now I decided some binaries are missing. Over my next 10 or so
visits to /stand/sysinstall  and trying everything from installing all
binaries, setting any combination of window managers etc , I finally got a
glimpse of victory, but it soured quickly.

On the last attempt I did in fact choose KDE as the window manager, and it
has fired up , I have all sorts of nice icons I can click on, but WhatTFk ??
I get no response, no glimpse of any of the applications working etc, and
believe me , the binaries are installed, I beggining to hate the menu driven
sysinstall (over visitation limits I thinks)

So...Its either the binaries cant be seen cause there on the /usr on a
different disk, or hell, I dunno, I fresh out of patience for such things at
the moment (thats a failure on my part), but I can log off ok, and do things
like open the menu's......oh yeah and xterms pop up ok, so am hoping its
trivial....

What should I do, is 2 disks ok, I imagine so, how should I get around this
?  I have also recompiled my kernel, so I hope I can put it somewhere for
later use if I have to trash the disk

Hell I will be happy if fwm95 works....X & xterms will help me learn UNIX
much quicker

Thanks for any help.

Greg