Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 21:02:51 +0100
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Email Etiquette on this list

Mike Meyer said on Nov 28, 2001 at 13:05:10:
> Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr> types:
> > Now, the right answer: use your judgement (as always).  If you're
> > replying to specific points, don't top-post.  If you're making a
> > broader reply and there's no reason to make the reader wade through
> > previous writing first, then by all means top-post.  Why not?
>
> In that case, why bother sending the previous writing *at all*?

To provide a general context?

> If people really want to read it, it's in the archives.

But I don't want to fire up my web browser every time I read mail.
Especially if I'm downloading my mail over a modem and reading it
offline.

I agree it's not always appropriate (in fact it usually isn't) and
it's irritating when the bulk of the message is an unedited quote of
someone's previous message (but this is equally irritating when quoted
on top, so it's a different issue).  I don't like rigid rules like
"never do this" on matters of etiquette.

- Rahul