Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 2015 10:09:09 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Joseph Mingrone <jrm@ftfl.ca>
Cc:        "freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org" <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Buying a laptop

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 6:32 AM, Joseph Mingrone <jrm@ftfl.ca> wrote:

> I also have had mostly positive experience with many Thinkpads.  Note I
> said Thinkpads and not Lenovos.
>
> Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com> writes:
> > I use an Lenovo X220 with 10.1 since nearly three years.
>
> I also have an X220, running a recent 10-STABLE.  Pretty much everything
> works including wireless with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N
> 6205 and suspend and resume.  I haven't figured out how to control the
> brightness and there is an annoying BIOS (bug/feature).  You can't
> legacy boot from a GPT-partitioned disk without UEFI.
>
> Joseph

Head was recently fixed so that brightness now works fine. The patch
applies cleanly to 10-stable (and 10.1) if you want to try it. My T520 has
had working brightness since. Yes, it works with the Fn+HOME and Fn+END
keys that are marked as brightness up and down on the keyboard. The patch
is to the ACPI code in dev/drm2/i915.intel_opregion.c, though small changes
were made to a couple of other files to enable access to the new code,

It's in head as r270516 and Adrian has thus far not MFCed to 10-STABLE. If
it works for you, you might let him know that you would like to see it done.
--
Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com