Date:      Sat, 10 Oct 2009 19:43:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Mahlerwein <mahlerrd@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
Subject:   Re: / almost out of space just after installation

--- On Sat, 10/10/09, RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com> wrote:

>From: RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
>Subject: Re: / almost out of space just after installation
>To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>Date: Saturday, October 10, 2009, 8:43 PM
>
>On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 12:28:08 -0700 (PDT)
>Richard Mahlerwein <mahlerrd@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> The only time I can
>> really think I'd want /tmp to be in RAM is if I already had too much
>> RAM for the needs of the box - otherwise, just give me the RAM...
>
>But it wouldn't actually be a ram disk, that's just just a misnomer
>that people, who ought to know better, are throwing around. It
>would probably be tmpfs.

Correction (or at least correction to precision) noted.=A0 I'd still rather=
 use it as RAM the regular way.=A0 :)

>> While I'm reasonably happy rolling my own FS sizes, I would be even
>> happier if I didn't have to.=A0 As long as we're doing the wish list,
>> I'd guess for this (all numbers significantly flexible):
>>=20
>> Drive < 16 GB =3D keep current layout?
>>=20
>> Drive > 16 and < 40 GB =3D=20
>> / =3D 1 GB
>> swap =3D 1.5x RAM=20
>> /tmp =3D 2 GB
>> /var =3D 2 GB
>> /usr =3D remaining space
>
>2 GB each for /var and /tmp is far too high for such=A0 small disks, I
>wouldn't want to squander 4GB like that much below a TB. It's a figure
>that's hardly ever going to be "about right" either for /tmp or /var,
>when it isn't far too big, it's likely to be too small.

So, your opinion is that if 768 MB (or 512 MB, or 1G, whatever) isn't enoug=
h, then it's likely that 2 GB also isn't enough?=A0 That those who need mor=
e than the default /var and /tmp often (or usually) need a LOT more?=A0 Rea=
sonable, and I am not sure I could disagree with that completely. =A0=20

I was approaching it from perhaps a slightly different tack, though.=A0 Wha=
t I was thinking of was of defaults for people who will use the defaults.=
=A0 Someone running=A0 a mail server is unlikely to use the defaults, and y=
ou are completely correct that they'd need a lot more space in /var.=A0 But=
, average Joe may just use it for fiddling around with.=A0 Maybe one day he=
'll start fiddling with MySQL or perhaps even trying to partially or comple=
tely host his own email.=A0 I'd like him, with his 250 GB drive, to have en=
ough space to at least play with that for a while without worrying overly m=
uch about running out of room or having to move DB files or something.

For that matter, I wonder if the solution for those sorts is to make a 'sim=
ple' mode that does swap and one big partition for everything else?=A0=A0 O=
r make 'auto' do that, and let everyone else use their own sizes?

Thinking out loud here: What if 'auto' did one big /, and 'advanced' only l=
aid in the partitions without sizes at all, then for each you'd have to jus=
t tell it how big to make it.=A0 A special option would be on the /home one=
, which would be to symlink it to /usr/home.=A0 Not that this would happen =
any time soon - that code doesn't look to be easily convertable to somethig=
n like this.=20

>> Drive > 40 GB =3D=20
>> / =3D 1 GB
>> swap =3D 1.5x RAM=20
>> /tmp =3D 2 GB
>> /var =3D 2 GB
>> /usr =3D 1/2 of remaining space, min 20 GB, max 35 GB
>> /home =3D everything else.
>

>Having a home directory separate from /usr is often a good idea, but
>making it part of the default install is a really bad idea IMO.=20
>
>A desktop user with a largish disk may want=A0 98% of it
>under /home, a server may need next to nothing under /home. The amount
>needed for /usr also varies enormously.

I had been assuming that someone setting up a server was unlikely to accept=
 the default 'a'uto sizes and would have rolled their own.=A0 Under the sch=
eme I had above, the desktop user with a large disk - say 1 TB - would have=
 ended up with 1TB - (1 GB / + ~4 GB swap + 2 GB /var + 2 GB /tmp + 35 GB /=
usr) =3D about 950 GB in /home.=A0 (Or, well, that'd be what, 870MB out of =
925MB or something?)=20

A server with that same drive would likely never have had the 'a' key press=
ed inside disklabel.=20

>It's so hard to come-up with sensible values that the only sensible
>thing to do is leave them on the same partition by default. It's not
>exactly rocket science to add your own /home partition.

I do agree to some extent.=A0 On the other hand, what's the 'a'uto key do n=
ow?=A0 / seems a bit small, notice the OP's subject?=A0 I've never had this=
 problem, though...=20

Hmm.=A0 All food for thought.=A0=20
=0A=0A=0A