Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 20:59:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeff Gentry <freebsd@hexdump.org>
To:        Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>
Cc:        Anil Jangity <aj@entic.net>, jrz <jrz@cnmnetwork.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security Update Tool..

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Mikhail Kruk wrote:
> I'm not sure that many people would like that kind of automation, but what
> is really missing IMHO is ability to mark ports whichs are insecure and
> add some option to pkg_info which will check all installed packages. I
> think OpenBSD has exacty this, no?

I don't think it has to be automated *and* "behind the covers" ...
I think a 2 stage process would be good -> first stage figures out what
(if any) you need, and if possible, explains why.  The 2nd stage would
allow you to apply changes if you wanted to or not.

--
    Jeff Gentry  jester@hexdump.org  gentrj@hexdump.org
           SEX           DRUGS           UNIX