Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 09:06:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu>
To:        John Henders <jhenders@wimsey.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: raising user max limits on bootup for one user

On 27 Feb 1996, John Henders wrote:

> I would like to raise the limits for the news user from the defaults for
> normal users. Is there some way I can do this for just the one user, or
> do I have to do it globally, and other than raising maxusers is there
> another way to do this?

You probably could adjust the kernel somehow to raise the default limits,
or add setrlimit() calls to an appropriate place in /sbin/init, to raise
the limits for all users.  Changing "maxusers" in a kernel config only
changes the size of the kernel tables -- it doesn't affect the default
proc limit of 40, for example.

Each process inherits limits from it's parent; the only user-land method
provided for raising the limits is via the "limit" and "unlimit" commands
in csh.  To get around this, I have written a wrapper that that changes a
limit (in my case, NPROC) and then execs the command given on the
wrapper's command line; for my news machine, I use the wrapper to raise
the NPROC limit for /usr/sbin/cron and /usr/local/etc/rc.news to avoid
hitting the limit when lots of readers are running.

Guy Helmer, Dakota State University Computing Services - ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu