Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2007 13:21:03 -0700
From:      Norbert Papke <fbsd-ml@scrapper.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH Problem with disconnects

On Sunday 11 March 2007 09:52, Alexander Schlichting wrote:
> I am having a big problem with the OpenSSH Daemon on my server. Whenever I
> am connected to the server and the connection is idle for a few seconds it
> gets disconnected. It's almost impossible to work from remote on the server
> when the connection is always getting dropped.

It is likely related to something in your network path dropping the connection
when it is idle.  Try the following in your server's /etc/ssh/sshd_config
file.

ClientAliveInterval 30
ClientAliveCountMax  10

Note that TCP keep-alives usually don't help in this situation because their
interval is too large.

Cheers.

-- Norbert.