Date:      Sat, 2 Oct 2004 17:03:50 +0200
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dimitry Andric <dimitry@andric.com>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Protection from the dreaded "rm -fr /"

--SkvwRMAIpAhPCcCJ

On 2004.10.02 16:48:46 +0200, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> On 2004-10-02 at 10:19:28 Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>=20
> > His idea was remarkably simple, so I went ahead and wrote this patch for
> > rm(1) of FreeBSD:
>=20
> Of course, your work is commendable, but isn't is much simpler to just
> not type commands like that?  I mean, "rm -rf /etc" or "rm -rf /bin"
> are just as bad, but do you really want to be checking for all
> possible `bad' deletions?  That way, we'll start to look like some
> software from Redmond... :)

As keramida has noted this particular case is more likely to be made
by mistake than many others, e.g. by doing "rm -rf / foo/bar" where
"rm -rf /foo/bar/" was meant.  Therefor I really think keramidas
_optional_ foot-shooting feature is a nice thing.

I know I will enable it on my systems if it's committed, and probably
keep it as a local patch if not.

--=20
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Bikeshed Team