Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 1995 18:06:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      cove@netcom.com (Cove Schneider)
To:        bmk@dtr.com (Brant Katkansky)
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Restricted shell?

> Is there a restricted shell available for FreeBSD 2.0.5R?

Yes there is -- I guess you got Nate's reply. In any event I thought
I'd just mention a few words of caution.. A common mistake by many
ISPs, schools etc. is to let people use unmodified versions of more,
elm and pine -- I'm sure the list goes on. If a user can make it to
vi, he or she is home free.. Remember you can change enviormental
vars. in vi.. I'm sure this isn't the only editor that can do this,
but watch out for programs that have this ability in reguars to
a restricted shell..

I'm sure you alredy know to check know your software though..

Good luck..

--
Cove Schneider                                                cove@netcom.com