Date:      Fri, 06 Jul 2001 17:40:15 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, wes@softweyr.com, tedm@toybox.placo.com, ewayte@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

> I was thinking about this the other day.  I don't think there's very
> much money likely to be made in "value-add" CD distributions in the
> near future -- that requires hard work to add value, and that requires
> someone being paid to do it.

The value-add may have nothing to do with the contents of the CD's.  Consider
that having a well-run subscription service might be valuable, or perhaps
better physical packaging in other than the standard jewel boxes.

Or adding some addition disks as part of the set of other useful software
or documentation.  Perhaps providing sets of pre-built picobsd
distributions with floppy images?  Maybe with hardcopy versions of
the handbook or other documentation.  Or perhaps someone with
phone-in tech support to help people install, run and support FreeBSD.

There's a number of different price points and and value propositions
you could shoot for.  The tricky bit is finguring out which of the
alternatives people want. :-)

louie