Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:50:13 +0400
From:      "Artem Kuchin" <matrix@itlegion.ru>
To:        "Richard Tector" <richardtector@thekeelecentre.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Top not showing 4 cpus on  2 xeons with HT

Richard Tector wrote:
> Artem Kuchin wrote:
>> I am just wondering if it is normal.
>> I have two xeon  processors with HT on each of them.
>> When loading kernel says that 4 cpu's are found,
>> but when i do top i can see only 0 or 2 in the C
>> column. never 1 or 3. Is it normal?
>>
>> FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE (cvsed 1 day ago)
> If I remember correctly, HT is disabled by default for security
> reasons but there should be a sysctl to enable it. I believe there is
> also a paper by Colin Percival on the issue.

ahh, heck, i'll take my chances. I've read the paper and the attack
seem to me almost unreal. Also, everybody is in the jail on the server.

> Note that in a lot of common loads, the use of HT with the standard
> scheduler does not yield any real benefits.

Hmm. I just turned it on and already see that hosts are running generally
faster (it is a hosting server, 100+ site). No numbers though. It just
*SEEMS* faster. Anyway, it cannot make thing slower for sure, or
can it?

--
Regards,
Artem