Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:44:00 -0500
From:      Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@freebsdmall.com>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org, Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Subject:   Re: splitting FAQ ch. 9

Murray Stokely wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 11:09:21AM -0500, Michael Lucas wrote:
>
>>chapter 9 (System Administration) is getting pretty durn huge, and I'm
>>about to add another Q that is FA'd.
>>

>  Should more of this stuff be in the Handbook, instead of the FAQ?
>It makes a lot of sense to split up the Handbook into multiple books
>once it gets too large (as it already is), but I think the FAQ should
>be much smaller and easier to read through.
>
>  I've never seen a FAQ quite so massive as ours, unless it was also
>accompanied with 10+ full-length manuals.
>
>  I'm certainly glad you're grabbing all of these great mailing list
>discussions and documenting them somewhere.  Anywhere is better than
>having to wade through mailing list archives!
>
>	    - Murray

As mentioned on the list before, the kernel config chapter needs a bit
of a touch up as some options are lacking, and some are generally out of
date.  Currently, I have updated the information of kern.maxusers to
support the pre 4.5 and the 4.5 release versions of GENERIC.  I have
also added the SOFTUPDATES option to the config, and next I will be
working over UFS_DIRHASH, but most likly not tonight.  I wish to have a
diff of this chapter for review sent in tomarrow, it will not cover ALL
the options, but will update ones that will surely drive new users
insane (like understanding kern.maxusers and SOFTUPDATES.)  I recall
when I was a new user, and looking over the GENERIC file and asking
myself "what does SYSV(insert option here) mean.

Micheal, may I ask what sections of the handbook you will possibly be
working on, if at all, I just don't really want to overwrite your work,
or make a bunch of changes and have an obsolete diff right before the
submission :)

--Tom Rhodes