Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 10:12:37 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        invalid opcode <coredump@nervosa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is this is a stupid patch?

invalid opcode <coredump@nervosa.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 17 May 1996, Scott Blachowicz wrote:
>
> > > rlogin coredump@nervosa.com
> >
> > Yeah! And now that we're on the subject, how about...
> > 1) telnet coredump@nervosa.com
> >    ...except that assumes you've got a login prompt on the far end.  I
> >    suppose you could accomplish something like that with an expect script
> >    or some such.
>
> Exactly, not to mention that if you want to specify the username, you can
> just use rlogin.

Not always...sometimes the r* commands are blocked at a firewall, but not
a telnet.  Also, the r* commands can be blocked with rhosts files.  Also,
at the moment, my connection from home to the net is by way of a "SLiRP"
setup on my shell account at work - it presents a PPP server to my home PPP
client, but my home system isn't really on The Net.  My net accesses
appear to come from the work system I dialin to.  At any rate, it can pass
telnet, but not the r* commands through.

At any rate, specifying a username isn't part of the telnet command - it's
frequently part of the information conveyed with telnet, but not part of
telnet itself.

> > 3) wherever else user needs to specify a username & hostname.
>
> Ditto.

Hmmm...I bet you could do something like this:

        % cd /usr/src
        % find . -type f -print | xargs grep -f 'getpwnam'

or something similar to get a list of places to start looking (for the
daemon side username validation?).

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org