Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 1996 03:35:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Grosch <joeg@interaccess.com>
To:        michaelv@HeadCandy.com (Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Opinions?

[ DELETED ]

>I'll add that I pretty much agree with everything he says.

[ DELETED ]

Another point to consider is the availability of source code. Back before a
UNIX source code license went for over $100,000.00 university like CMU,
Stanford, MIT, and of course, Berkeley had UNIX, in source code, for
students to study and learn from. This developed a generation of hackers
who understood, in great detail, how UNIX worked. So there were a lot more
UNIX "experts" for industry to hire than there were VMS or MVS experts. And
because there were at the beginning of their career instead of being 7 to 10
years into it as a simular MVS or VMS "expert" they were less costly.

With NT, not many people outside of microsloth have seen the source code
let alone had the time to study it. I would guess that microslime has no
plans to license the source code anytime soon. So, I suspect that there
will be fewer NT "experts" for quite awhile and it will take longer to grow
them. With the free UNIXes (sic ?) we are creating another generation of
hackers who come on to the job market with an in depth knowledge of
UNIX. Plus it a lot harder to hide an API when you have access to the
source code. Best thing of all, there is no faster way to end an argument
about what the system is doing then pulling out the source code :-)

It goes without saying that there are a number of hurdles for the free
UNIXes. The first is support and the second is the industry attitude that
unless they have paid for it, it has no value.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch - joeg@truenorth.org     | "Laugh while you can, monkey boy."
http://www.interaccess.com/users/joeg |          - John Warfin -