Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 13:23:42 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on the Intel-UNIX standard

> I'm concerned about the SNR in hackers, but I just couldn't resist
> asking if someone was aware and acting on this
> 	http://www.sco.com/udi/

Yes, we're aware of it.  What is there to act on?

> It will be ported for Linux and distributed as freeware, as far as SCO
> knows...

There is pressure for Intel to include a Linux implementation as part
of the deliverables for UDI.  As such, it may be contaminated by the
GPL.

UDI is a reasonably nice framework.  Someone with some time on their
hands might want to try implementing it for FreeBSD.  Last time I read
the drafts, there were still significant omissions, particularly
addressing the way that a UDI driver might integrate with the system
(eg. driver lookup, dependancy management, etc.)