Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 1997 09:21:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <jeffrey_m._metcalf@ccmail.bms.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        metcalf@snet.net
Subject:   How does the 'boot' command know the default boot device?

     Hello,

     I was wondering how the 'boot' command which begins the FreeBSD
     bootstrap procedure knows what the default boot device is?  I
     currently have the problem that whenever I try to boot my
     FreeBSD 2.1.5 system, the default boot device is set to 'fd(43)',
     which does not exist.  This causes a spontaneous reboot of the
     computer and forces me to have to type the following to the boot
     prompt every time I want to start FreeBSD

     boot: wd(0,a)/kernel

     I currently have two IDE hard drives, wd(1) being primarily a
     backup to the main drive on wd(0).

     The wd(0) device used to be the default boot device when I ran
     FreeBSD 2.1.0 on a system with a different hd on wd(1).  After
     I changed my hard drive on wd(1) and updated to FreeBSD 2.1.5, I
     have been left with the nonexistent fd(43) as the default boot
     device ever since.

     Any ideas?

     Thanks,

     J. Metcalf