Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 2008 14:15:31 +0100
From:      Frank <mitchell@wyatt672earp.force9.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-i18n@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unicode-based FreeBSD

Even if you use an English locale with occasional accented letters, you might
want ISO-8859-1 for legacy compatibility. Also I multiboot, sharing a Data
Partition with other Unix flavours using ISO-8859-1. And I need to import
previous tracks during Multisession CD/DVD Archive/Backup operations. And
naturally I have legacy documents in ISO-8859-1, which corresponds to my
old Windows Codepage 1252.

I've heard that Japanese and Chinese users prefer their own coding systems,
because the Unicode Character Set in these languages is limited. Korean also
has Combining Characters, and UTF-8 comes in 3 different Levels depending on
its ability to cope with this. Maybe you need some contacts in other
countries.

Faictz Ce Que Vouldras: Frank Mitchell