Date:      Thu, 31 May 2007 06:14:15 -0500
From:      "J.D. Bronson" <jbronson@sixcompanies.com>
To:        Sten Daniel Soersdal <netslists@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Packet Loss w/bge & BCM5703 on Dell PE2650

At 05:33 AM 05/31/2007, Sten Daniel Soersdal wrote:
>>It appears I do not have the DEVICE_POLLING option set when I compiled
>>my kernel on my one machine and on the second I am just using the
>>GENERIC kernel. I'll recompile with this option set and try again and
>>post my results to the list.
>>Thanks!
>
>Try disabling hardware assisted checksumming. ( ifconfig bge0
>-txcsum -rxcsum ).
>
>--
>Sten Daniel Soersdal

What is the proper syntax for this in /etc/rc.conf?

ifconfig_bge0="inet 192.168.1.1 -txcsum -rxcsum netmask 255.255.255.0"

??

Ironically, this is also recommended under Solaris 10 for the same NIC:

If you have a bge interface (eg, SunFire V210), then you may have
NAT problems with ipfilter unless you add the following to
/etc/system:

set ip:dohwcksum=0

This turns off hardware checksumming, which is on by default with
bge interfaces.
-JD