Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 1997 18:14:04 +0100
From:      Richard Jones <rjones@imcl.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS from a Linux server

Guy Helmer wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Richard Jones wrote:
>
> > annexia  Linux 2.0.25 (RedHat 4.0)
> > virgil   FreeBSD 2.2.1-release
> >
> > Oh dear! More problems with accessing a Linux server from
> > FreeBSD.
> >
> > I managed to configure the FreeBSD box as a NIS client by
> > editing /etc/sysconfig. I also added '+' to the end of
> > /etc/passwd, /etc/master.passwd and /etc/group. After rebooting,
> > I can see the NIS password maps using "ypcat passwd", ie:
>
> OK, but did you add the + line to the end of /etc/master.passwd via
> vipw(8)?  If not, the line probably hasn't been added to the /etc/pwd.db
> and /etc/spwd.db databases, which is what the login and other commands use
> to lookup password entries.

No. Because when I used "vipw" to edit the password
file, it would give the error:

	vipw: rebuilding the database ...
	pwd_mkdb: corrupted entry
	pwd_mkdb: at line #13

Line 13, needless to say, is the "+". I also tried adding
a line

(9 ':'s) but that gave the same error.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones  rjones@imcl.com  Tel: +44 171 460 4460  Fax: .. 4461
ABLE INmEDIA Ltd.  262a Fulham Rd.  London  SW10 9EL.  "you'll write in