Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 00:43:50 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        tich@ma.ikos.com, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP, 4GB RAM, 4x CPU

> > Also there are rumours that Alpha performance is critically dependent
> > on the compiler used - i.e. the DEC compiler on Tru64 Unix (is that this
> > week's name ?) might give you 30% more performance than gcc.
>
> I believe GCC sucks for most RISC architectures. I could be wrong, but
> getting optimizing compilers for RISC is a complicated game, and I'd
> be real surprised if GCC managed it.

DEC (used to; haven't checked lately) have instruction scheduling
code up for download on gatekeeper.dec.com.  From memory, running
it as an assembler preprocessor was pretty trivial.  Of course,
DEC may have advanced the technology without posting new code, so
YMMV...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---