Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 12:09:51 +0900
From:      Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@FreeBSD.org>
To:        cracauer@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Current <FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   /bin/sh dumps core with here-document of 8bit text

--Multipart_Fri_Jul_28_12:09:51_2000-1

I don't know you are the right person to ask, but I found you
committed some of 8bit cleaning in src/bin/sh.

Shell script which contains here-document of 8bit text sometimes dumps
core.  For example, please test this script in 4.1 or -current.

#!/bin/sh
cat <<EOF
[8bit text which contains 0x82 character]
EOF

And, if I use 'EOF' instead of EOF, it works fine.  Do you have any
idea about this behavior?

After at a glance of sources, 0x82 is used as CTLVAR control
character.  I think this should be escaped as CTLESC CTLVAR before
examining variable substitution whether here-docuement is quoted or
not.

--
Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@FreeBSD.org> // FreeBSD Project

--Multipart_Fri_Jul_28_12:09:51_2000-1

H4sICEn4gDkAAzhiaXQuc2gAU1bUT8rM0y/O4EpOLFGwsXH1d+NqOtR0hgvEAABiGHPjHQAAAA==

--Multipart_Fri_Jul_28_12:09:51_2000-1--