Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 1996 21:45:39 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Eric Chet <ec0@s1.ganet.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: various questions

On Jan 30, 15:26, Eric Chet wrote:
}
} > The Dirty Tag RAM and write-back cache mode ought to make
} > more of a difference on a DX4 system. But I doubt you'll
} > see more than some 5% to 7% speedup.
}
} Thanks Stefan
}
} 	I was looking at the wrong numbers.  Are there any problems
} using a Intel DX4(which has write-back L1) on a SP3G with write-back
} L2 cache?  The SP3G is said to have problems, with write-back L1 && L2.

The Saturn technical data book contains a section on
supported cache configurations, and explicitly states,
that ONLY ONE of the caches can operate in write-back
mode. This is a design limititation.

In fact it seems like a primary cache is not suypported
at all. I.e. it can't be used with the Pentium Overdrive
nor any other CPU, AFAIK. (I.e. I never heard of anybody
using a i486DX4 with WB primary cache in a motherboard
with Saturn chip set).

I suppose a write-back primary cache had more effect on
effective throughput than a WB secondary cache, but the
Saturn was faster with both caches set to write-through
than most other 486 chip sets with WB support, anyway.

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160