Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 14:52:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
To:        J McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: debug kernel size

Hi,

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, J McKitrick wrote:

> I've seen some posts here to the effect that there is no need to strip
> debug info from a kernel, because this info is not loaded into memory.
> But somewhere in Lehey's book, i thought i saw a statement that the
> symbols ARE loaded into memory to allow debugging, and so they DO take
> up system resources.  WHich is true?  p.s.  I'll keep looking for that
> statement, i thought i found it but it was the wrong one...

ELF kernels do not load the debug info.  The old a.out kernels did.  Seems
like Greg is right both times.  (he was the one who mentioned the ELF
kernel bit in this list recently)

Brett
Dr. Brett Taylor         brett@peloton.runet.edu    *
Dept of Chem and Physics			    *
Curie 39A	(540) 831-6147                      *
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics		    *
Walker 234	(540) 831-5410			    *