Date:      Thu, 9 May 1996 09:12:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, wollman@lcs.mit.edu
Subject:   Re: Libc is broken!

Of all the gin joints in all the world, Michael Smith had to walk into
mine and say:

> Bill Paul stands accused of saying:
> >
> > I'd like nothing better than to dive in and debug this, but I need
> > to get 2.2-current running on my machine at work to do that, and I can't
> > get the damn snapshot installed because of some mysterious NFS breakage.
>
> Hey!  What processor class are you installing on?  I'm seeing NFS death
> on 386 and 486 system, but not on Pentiums.

It's an Intel 386/33. No math co-processor. FreeBSD 2.1.0 installs
just fine, but not the 2.2 SNAPS. (I repeat: both of the last two
SNAPs failed.) Other details: 3c503 (8-bit) ethernet, two small IDE
drives (one 40MB, the other 50MB), old Diamond Speedstar 3.01 SVGA
adapter (ET4000), 8MB of RAM.

> Terry has suggested that
> this is a bcopy-optimisation problem (the date that this first started
> being an issue is about right too); I need to get home to test this
> properly though.

Well, I've had this problem with both of the last SNAPs, which
means the problem must have been around for at least a couple
months. When did the bcopy() optimizations go in?

Like I said over in the bugs mailing list, I'm getting failures
in two different ways. I'm trying to set up a dataless client (/usr
is mounted via NFS from the SPARCstation IPX on my desk running
SunOS 4.1.3). The install is being done via FTP, which is to say
that I'm sucking the distribution over from ftp.cdrom.com (once
I copied the dist files to my own machine to verify that it wasn't
just poor Internet performance -- it ain't that). However I'm writing
part of it out to /usr via NFS: as soon as the emergency holographic
shell appears, I manually mkdir /usr and then mount_nfs -P sparc:/usr /usr.
NFS seems to work initially: I can ls -l the /usr filesystem prior
to sysinstall scribbling on it.

However, I can never complete the installation. Writing to the internal
drives works fine, but after a very short time of writing to /usr
over NFS, writing hangs. The machine does _NOT_ hang: I can still
ping it and it responds to the keyboard. But NFS is toast: any attempt
to perform an NFS operation hangs. If I go to the emergency holographic
shell and type 'df', it gets wedged.

How far it gets before it hangs tends to vary: I tried it about
a half dozen times, and each time it was different. It was never
more than a couple dozen files though. Usually it gets up to
/usr/bin/cpio and then stops.

Second, trying to install _FROM_ NFS also fails. Yes Joerg, I
do have the paths right: sysinstall successfully mounts the filesystem
and finds all the distribution file, but it hangs after while
trying to read the root.flp image. By contrast to the first case,
this hang happens almost immediately.

Yes I'm using the NFS secure option. (And the -P flag when I mount
manually.) Yes I've tried reducing the NFS block size. (This adapter
works perfectly well with the full 8K blocksize in 2.1.0.)

I've tried snooping with tcpdump to look for clues: as far as I can
tell, everything just stops for now reason. Again, 2.1.0 can handle
both of these cases just fine.

*sigh*

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (212) 854-6020 | System Manager
License error: The license for this .sig file has expired. You must obtain
a new license key before any more witty phrases will appear in this space.