Date:      Tue, 5 Aug 2014 08:07:23 +0200
From:      Marcus von Appen <mva@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
Cc:        "ports@freebsd.org" <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why USE_PYTHON=yes doesn't rebuild default python meta-port?

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z

On, Tue Aug 05, 2014, Yuri wrote:

> I am rebuilding the port hierarchy with the top port having
> USE_PYTHON=yes. This package runs python-config.
> But only python2 and python27 were actually built, and therefore only
> python2-config is available and my port breaks.
> Default meta-port python-2.7, that would have contained python-config,
> wasn't built.
>
> But USE_PYTHON=yes asks for the default python, doesn't it? So is this a
> bug in the make scripts, or else why default python version wasn't built?

USE_PYTHON=yes asks for any python port, no matter which. lang/python is a
consumer port that usually is not picked by ports within the ports
infrastructure and you should avoid using 'python-config', 'python' and
similar generic commands for building and installing ports, since a user can
change the default version at any time.

Having said this, pulling in 'only' python2 (lang/python2) is correct. The
port, that breaks for you, needs to be fixed.

Cheers
Marcus
--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z--