Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 2002 14:35:45 -0700
From:      Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/37465: Handbook needs new section

>Alternate Consoles
>
>The key combinations ALT-F1 through ALT-F6 give you simultaneous
>parallel channels of access to the sytem, much as though you could seat
>yourself at any one of six different keyboard-monitor sets, each
>with its own communication path to FreeBSD.  This can be useful
>for simultaneously editing a file and observing the effects of
>executing it or for examing the messages in stderr without disturbing
>your main channel of communication with the system.

I have a related question which may be OT for this list, but then again,
maybe the answer could go into the proposed section (:-).

On the sparse occasions when I use the server's own keyboard and monitor,
I am continuously annoyed by system error messages.  Hitting ALT-F[1-6]
does nothing to eliminate these, so I generally remove myself to my
own desktop machine and do my administration from there.  Is there a way
to tell the system error messages to go only to the ALT-F1 screen?

-r
--
email: rdm@cfcl.com; phone: +1 650-873-7841
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm    - my home page, resume, etc.