Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2002 09:11:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Chris Knight <chris@aims.com.au>
Cc:        re@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Comments on Release Building for -current

On 31-Jul-2002 Chris Knight wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> As the snapshot manager at snapshots.jp.freebsd.org would be aware,
> current's release building capability is woeful to say the least. A fair
> bit of tidying up will need to be done for DP2.
> I've managed to complete a successful release build of current with a
> checkout of two days ago. For those interested, here's what I had to do:
>
> the mfsroot floppy contents were too large
> FIX:
> - edit /usr/src/release/i386/drivers.conf and move the following drivers
>   from floppy 2 to floppy3: aue, cue, em, kue, sk, ti, wb, xe, and the
>   SYSV stuff
> - edit /usr/src/release/scripts/driver-copy2.awk to not error when it
>   encounters the floppy 3 candidates
>
> the kern floppy contents were too large
> FIX:
> - edit /usr/src/release/i386/dokern.sh and get sed to remove more
>   drivers from MFSROOT. The drivers are: eisa, ahb, isp, ses
>
> the fixit floppy contents were too large
> FIX:
> - edit /usr/src/release/i386/fixit_crunch.conf and remove the following
>   programs: mount_msdosfs restore rrestore telnet
>
> As you can see, all three 1.44MB floppies run out of space. With the
> above changes, the build just scrapes by. I'd imagine that the changes
> I made still wouldn't be enough for a release build to be successful
> for PC98 or Alpha.
> I'm happy to help resolve the release building issue if anybody is
> interested.

Oof.  It's like our binaries are suddenly very bloated.  Did this start
very recently (like in the past few days?)  Perhaps -mcpu=pentiumpro
bloats things and we should use NO_CPU_FLAGS when building crunches,
etc.  We might also want to use -Os instead of -O when building the
kernels and crunches as well.