Date:      Tue, 04 Aug 1998 21:58:00 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAM4FreeBSD

> > Be sure and look at BugTraq and the DOE CICE lists for the Solaris
> > PAM vulnerabilities before bringing it all the way in (PAM accounts
> > for approximately 2/3's of their recent vulnerabilities).
>
> Will do.  Thanks for the tip.

... and if you want my pet peeve about PAM, it's that the modules have
to be visible and loadable in to the application that wants to
authenticate/admin/etc.

The "right" way (IMHO) to deal with this would be to take a clean slice
across the PAM API (which is reasonably compact), encapsulate it into a
nice simple synchronous stream protocol, and then put all the PAM
library into a daemon.  Use our authenticated socket technology and
Unix-domain sockets to ensure the integrity of the client-server
relationship.

This would allow lots of programs (eg. passwd, xlockmore) to be
installed non-setuid root, since they only ever authenticate their
owner.  It would also let you run eg. POP daemons non-setuid-root if
they were granted permission to authenticate, etc.

Anyway, that's my major gripe about PAM as it stands.  That, and the
lousy quality of most of the free-source modules out there. 8(