Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 09:41:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Cosmic 665 <the_hermit665@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP comparisons

:NO!!!!! FreeBSD is ahead...  maybe behind a little... either way, we kick
:linux's A$$
:
:p.s.  I gave a copy of 3.0 to a friend of mine to compare between linux &
:FreeBSD on SMP and maybe even NT.  I'll be hearing back from him on thouse
:results.
:
:-cosmic-665

    Linux beats our arses on SMP performance, I'm afraid.  They've been
    able to move the tcp stack outside of the big giant lock and have also
    moved a significant portion of the data copying stuff outside of the
    big giant lock.  And, on top of that, we need to make significant
    changes to the way our buffer cache works to even approach linux's
    I/O performance under SMP.  I want to move us more towards a UVM
    model for I/O - i.e. going through the VM subsystem to read and write
    data rather then VFS subsystem and the notifying the VFS system after
    the fact for writes.

    Unfortunately, I doubt that much progress will be made in the current
    environment.

    FreeBSD still kicks ass in the reliability department, despite the
    recent problems with INN and mmap(), and FreeBSD still kicks ass if
    a system ever has to start paging.

					-Matt