Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2001 14:35:20 +0100
From:      Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: off topic - need help from an expert

On 2001-11-23 17:39 +0100, Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> I have a music tune which I want to play at half speed but same pitch.
> (It contains some be-bop portions which are played so fast that it is hard
> to write them down while hearing).
> I've heard this could be done by downsampling or repeat or some
> such transformation. Don't know exactly.
>
> Could that be done with sox or lame? I have the file as .wav or .mp3.
> Could also convert to .aiff.

From the sox man page:

       stretch factor [window fade shift fading]
                 Time stretch file  by  a  given  factor.  Change
                 duration without affecting the pitch.  factor of
                 stretching: >1.0 lengthen,  <1.0  shorten  dura-
                 tion.   window  size  is in ms. Default is 20ms.
                 The fade option, can be "lin".  shift ratio,  in
                 [0.0  1.0].  Default  depends on stretch factor.
                 1.0 to shorten, 0.8  to  lengthen.   The  fading
                 ratio,  in  [0.0  0.5].  The  amount of a fade's
                 default depends on factor and shift.

Didn't try it myself, though ...

Gruß, STefan