Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2001 03:27:18 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mysterious boot during the night

Andrew writes:

> Yup.  I call it cutting edge... it's not an
> Itanium or a HP Superdome server, but it's still
> cutting edge consumer grade hardware.

Maybe in terms of processor speed.  But machines are so fast these days, does
processor speed really matter?  The vendor did cut corners in a lot of other
ways, although the machine seems to be reasonably well built and equipped for
the price.

> I may be mistaken, but I believe there are known
> problems with that chipset.

Known problems that would reboot a system?

> However, they're not a manufacturer known for
> quality hardware.

It looks okay for what I paid for it.

> Your best bet here is going to get one of the memory
> checking software programs and basically "bang the
> hell" out of the machine to force it to error.

If the reboots become frequent and worrisome, I'll consider it.  Nowadays I tend
to put hardware failures at the bottom of the list of possible system
problems--so much so that I question the utility of things like clustered
servers, especially since they usually have lots of other problems related to
clustering that tend to more than negate their alleged value at increasing
uptime (often more theoretical than real, anyway).

> What controller chipset does it use?

I don't know.

> Maybe it's just how I go about things, but I
> don't install hardware that I'm not ready to use
> immediately.  I've seen some strange things
> like that.

If it will work when I use it, it will surely work when I don't use it.  I don't
like to open and close the case any more than necessary.

> You can get rid of this stuff by modifying your
> kernel.conf file.

Is there a reason why I'd want to get rid of it?

> Look this up on the web and see if you can determine
> what it is.  This may be a piece of unsupported
> hardware.  Does your machine include onboard sound
> or something like that?

Yes, it looks like this is some sort of Compu-Media on-board PCI audio gadget.
I don't use the audio on the system.

When I started KDE, one of the six million processes it launched for my one user
was something called artsd, and it was not at all nice, at -36.  I trashed it,
shortly before trashing all of KDE.  It seemed to have something to do with the
sound interface, and I saw complaints it was logging, so I just killed it.

> Are you sure that the cable for this is 100% spec?

Nope.