Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:57:40 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Amandeep Pannu <aman@chamkila.org>
Cc:        Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd problem: Cannot detect Hard Disks as RAID

--Q68bSM7Ycu6FN28Q

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 05:33:09PM -0800, Amandeep Pannu wrote:

> I have this Supermicro MB P4SCI and I am using the onboard SATA
> controllers and making a RAID of two Seagate 80Gb SATA drives but when I
> try to install FreeBSD 4.11 it doesnt see the drives configured as RAID.
> Any ideas as if this is supported or not.
>=20
> If I try single drives wihout RAID it sees them happily.

This is really freebsd-questions@... material, but WTH.

In one of those coincidental ways these things seem to happen, I just
installed 4.11 on one of those mobos a few days ago.  One way that
seems to work is to set the BIOS to use 'legacy mode', install FreeBSD
on the 1st hard drive and then:

    # atacontrol create RAID1 ad0 ad1

This will create a device ar0 -- so you'll need to modify /etc/fstab
at least.  I found it easier just to do a minimal install at first in
order to get atacontrol working, then just re-install from scratch
onto the newly created ar0 device.

     Cheers,

     Matthew    =20

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       8 Dane Court Manor
                                                      School Rd
PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey         Tilmanstone
Tel: +44 1304 617253                                  Kent, CT14 0JL UK

--Q68bSM7Ycu6FN28Q

--Q68bSM7Ycu6FN28Q--