Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 14:37:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      Bruce Gingery <bgingery@gtcs.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP disconnect kills inetd and (open-) sshd

I have sshd (openssh) run from /usr/local/etc/rc.d on a 3.4-STABLE host
(3.4-RELEASE binary install via ftp with 3.x to -STABLE package).
OpenSSH built from port with OpenSSL 0.9.4.   Kernel is installed
generic.

When it receives a forced disconnect from the dial-up ISP, both
inetd and sshd are missing when it reconnects, even if the ( -auto )
redial is relatively immediate.  Of course, this machine connects to a
busy ISP who leases dialups from PSI. Simple PPP negotiation,
everything but resolvers dictated by ISP (I think I noticed compression
auto-negotiated). No CHAP/PAP.   ppp -auto (as I recall) is running
from rc.conf   sendmail -bd and other items from ppp.linkup and sendmail
daemon -TERM'd from a head -1 of sendmail.pid in ppp.linkdown

I'd expect the ftpd to hang up and the open ssh sessions to die.  The
problem is that their parent daemons also die - with sshd dead, no ssh
logins once the host is back up - with inetd dead, no in-the-clear ftp
nor telnet -- even when I can find the machine at its new connection.

I'm GUESSING that this has to do with change of local interface
address, but this machine is quite remote from me, and I've not
yet been able to confirm this, nor find core dumps nor logged exit
messages.

Without a flush in ppp.down it gradually accumulates  aliases on the
tun0 interface, but the daemons don't seem to die.  WITH a flush in
ppp.linkdown, even when followed by a re-configuration back to the
net-10 default, these crucial daemons die.  I'm not positive about
this description.  I added the flush about the same time as sshd
and only have access to the system occasionally, to tweak.

I can imagine adding an invocation to /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sshd.sh in
ppp.linkup which I haven't had the chance to do, yet - but this inetd
problem really gets me - and it would appear that the two are somehow
related.   I've never seen an inetd die like this before.  Is this
-- or could it be -- somehow related to changes for PPPoe.

I hope to do a kernel rebuild shortly, if only to activate the PNP
soundcard which is probed but not recognized, so any solid suggestions
would be appreciated.

	Bruce Gingery	<bgingery@gtcs.com>