Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 23:03:40 +0100 (CET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        "Brandon S. Allbery  KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
Cc:        ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Matthew Gilbert <agilbertm@earthlink.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.4-STABLE crashes - suspects new ata-driver over wd-drivers

It seems Brandon S. Allbery  KF8NH wrote:
> On Thu, 2001-12-27 at 15:20, ian j hart wrote:
> > Myself and others have had IDE related problems. Search
> > the stable and hardware mail archives for
> > UDMA and ICRC [and ianjhart] for examples.
> >
> > There is also the "only supports 16MxN RAM" feature.
>
> Maybe I should toss in that I've had spontaneous reboots during heavy
> IDE activity both on my desktop (VIA 82C686) and my laptop (Intel
> 82443BX).  And before that, random disk corruption during heavy SCSI
> activity on my old desktop machine (seen with Tekram and Acer
> 83C575-based host adapters and a borrowed Adaptec 2940).

Guys guys, we are talking about known HW issues that causes known
bad behavior, having a system that is flaky can have all kinds of
reasons, I'd risk saying that genuine HW bugs like the 686B bug
is one of the least likely problems...

The most likely reasons are probably bad/subspec'd RAM, lousy PSU,
bad/subspec'd cabeling, too many "performance features" enabled,
generally crappy hardware (there are *tons* of that out there),
bad/insufficient cooling, overclocking (even the motherboard makers
overclock pr default nowadays to gain a litte over the competition),

And do *not* forget bugs/bogons/mistakes in your favorite OS :)

-Søren