Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 1996 19:58:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD keyboard

On Sun, 14 Jul 1996, John Fieber wrote:

> white background!  The shape and color of a stop sign represents
> only a single word, but it would be a heck of a lot less
> effective if it were only represented textually.

> The same goes for icons I use for iconified applications on my X
> desktop. A picture of an envelope means one thing (email), but I
> can identify and get the mouse to it in an instant.  It is much
> slower without the image and requires linguistic brain effort.

I realize you know what you are talking about, but I have to ask if you
have ever seen any specific research proving this.  (time passes while I
ask :).

In the case of a road sign--a road sign is something you almost
always see indirectly.  You're always trying to drive at the same time,
and even if you're not, the road sign is still going to be unexpected in
that it is always one road sign, instead of one road sign in a pool of a
thousand road signs.

I'm not sure it can be compared to seeing an icon.  An icon will usually
be amidst many other icons.  When searching for an icon, one is
specifically looking for a specific icon--something not often the case
with a road sign.

I know, when reading a sheet of paper, or a computer screen, if my name
is written on it somewhere, it almost always pops out immediately with
little more than a glance at the paper or screen.  When looking for a
specific word or word sequence in a large text file, if you scroll it up
a screen and pay attention the whole time, I'll bet you find it first
time even if the text is being scrolled 5-10 times to fast to be read
normally.  I think that text can be recognized very quickly.  I'm sure
that, over time, the same would be true for graphic icons.

However, unless there is a large advantage in recognition time for an
icon (which I don't think there is), there are other advantages that make
text-based names better.  Words, letters, are more precise than
graphics.  Obviously, they're more universal in that the blind can use
them.  While, with time, I think it would be possible for research to
create regexps that match graphical icons, and create icons that clearly
match their meaning, I don't think icons will ever have the breadth of
possible meaning that a textual name does.

I'm not contending the usefulness and friendliness of a GUI; rather, I'm
suggesting that an icon can simply not replace the name of a command, for
example, `rm', `cp', `find', `ls', etc..

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk