Date:      Wed, 29 May 2013 10:01:53 -0400
From:      Paul Kraus <paul@kraus-haus.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD sleep

On May 29, 2013, at 7:58 AM, Jason Birch <jbirch@jbirch.net> wrote:

>> Seriously, that explanation about different hours is not enough to =
prevent
>> at least useful option.
>> like
>> sleep -f 1h
>> (-f means force convert, without it you can see good explanation why =
sleep
>> for 1 hour will be not sleep for 1 hour, and etc, and not get sleep =
at
>> all.).
>>=20
>=20
> Do one thing, and do it well. What you have proposed involves:
> * an additional force flag
> * interpolation of what follows the force flag (does m mean minutes, =
or
> months?)
> * expectations around time, time zones, and what an hours is.
>=20
> That fails the litmus test on complexity for me personally - it seems =
like
> a lot of complexity for not much gain.

Agreed. When I first started dealing with Unix professionally (1995, I =
started playing with Unix-like OSes almost 10 years earlier) I was =
taught that each Unix command does one thing and does it well. That =
simplicity is one of the core strengths of Unix (and Unix-like) OSes. =
With the popularization of Linux I see many movements towards a "dumbing =
down" of the OS, making it behave more like more common OSes, even if =
those changes make it less robust and flexible.

One of the reasons I choose FreeBSD over Linux in many cases is that =
FreeBSD is closer to the roots of Unix in terms of keeping things simple =
and reliability being more important than convenience.

Disclaimer: I spent most of my time between 1995 and 2012 managing =
Solaris systems. An occasional Linux system would crop up. When I =
started really looking at FreeBSD in 2012 (I wanted ZFS and OpenSolaris =
/ OpenIndiana / NexentaCore / Illumos did not support my hardware) I was =
very happily surprised that it "felt" like a grown up OS and not the toy =
that many Linux distributions feel like to me.

--
Paul Kraus
Deputy Technical Director, LoneStarCon 3