Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:30:12 -0500
From:      Igor Partola <ipartola@pisem.net>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Again about Dell Inspiron 8x00

To be exact it was 2.6.9-gentoo-r13 and 2.6.10 vanilla that worked.

It seems to me that certain functions of the ACPI are better off left
alone as overriding them just causes trouble.

For example: when there is no ACPI support in kernel closing the lid
switches the display off and Fn+F3 brings me to BIOS settings. Once ACPI
is loaded though these functions don't seem to work. So maybe they
shouldn't be overridden until it is known that the overriding code in
the kernel ACPI works well enough to handle it? Or maybe sysctl could be
used to switch between BIOS and kernel ACPI to be in charge of turning
off the display and such?

Respect,
Igor