Date:      Wed, 01 Jun 2005 00:09:41 -0400
From:      Vinny Abello <vinny@tellurian.com>
To:        "Danny Cooper" <freebsd@as9105.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: DELL PowerEdge 2850 and FreeBSD 5.4

What BIOS revision are you running in your 2850? Make sure all your
firmware is up to date. I had problems with an slightly older Dell
2650 trying to install FreeBSD until I flashed the latest RAID
controller firmware. If this doesn't help, try running some
diagnostics on the hardware. Dell has some pretty extensive
utilities. I think you can boot a Dell diagnostic CD you download
from their web site. It's possible you have bad RAM.

At 11:50 AM 5/31/2005, Danny Cooper wrote:
>With the kernel I removed all non-required devices
>
>Firewire, usb all the NIC's except em and removed all RAID and SCSI
>controllers to make sure nothing would interfere.
>
>I tried to boot with the AMD64 CD but with no success, the machine just
>hangs when it tries to load the CD, still trying to work out a solution to
>the problem, but it just seems these DELL 2850 machines are for Windows or
>RedHat!!!
>
>DC

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny@tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of
fear" -- Mark Twain