Date:      Sat, 30 Oct 2004 20:44:18 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.org>
To:        Jeff Doolittle <jdoolittle@kingsquarry.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: More Intel ICH5 SATA150 hangs

On 10/30/04 12:39 AM, Jeff Doolittle sat at the `puter and typed:
> Louis LeBlanc wrote:
>
> > <SNIP>
> >I did a lot of googling to see if there was anything about the
> >controller and the WRITE_DMA message out there - even associated with
> >Linux or any other *nix.  Very little, but there were suggestions to
> >change the CPU to compatible mode.  I tried this and it wouldn't boot.
> >

> CPU to "compatible mode"?  What worked for my ASUS was to change the
> Serial ATA from enhanced mode to compatible mode which results in the
> loss of either your Primary or Secondary IDE channel.  I've been running
> this way for months without a problem.  I use the onboard Promise
> controller for my "live" data and do a weekly dump to the WDC drives on
> the ICH5 "compatible" mode enabled drives.   The only reboots of the box
> have been for newer versions of CURRENT and now STABLE.

My bios doen't give that level of control on the SATA controller.

> >Same result the other poor schmuck got when he tried it.  There was
> >also a suggestion that HT be turned off.  Kinda defeats the whole
> >purpose of spending the extra $100 when I bought this system, so I
> >didn't bother trying it - especially since there were folks out there
> >that said it wasn't related - they had no problems with the Disk
> >controller and HT.
> >
> For the record I'm still running with HT enabled although I might turn
> it off after reading many messages about how system performance is impacted.

Doesn't make sense, does it?  I guess I'll try turning mine off too.
Much as I hate to do it - considering the promises of SMP coolness in
5.3 is why I bought the HT chip.

> > <SNIP>
> Hopefully the above is of some help.
>
>     Good luck