Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 15:17:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to "make" instead of "make all"

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Oscar Bonilla wrote:

> still juggling with this ns stuff :)
>
> ns is compiled by issuing
>
> $ make
>
> not
>
> $ make all
>
> how do i prevent the ports subsystem from adding the "all" word

The variable ALL_TARGET, in bsd.port.mk, defaults to "all" but you can
set it to anything your heart desires.

Seriously, one of the nicer things that being a porter gives you is an
incentive to read bsd.port.mk, which is the base structure of our ports
system.  IF you read that, and understand that one file, you will
forevermore be an expert on make.  I'm not joking.  If you get stuck on
any portion of it, ask, you'll get quick help (many experts on that file
reside right here on freebsd-ports).

bsd.port.mk is great not only for being the base of ports, it also shows
examples of nearly every way you can twist the BSD make utility.  Most
of the ways are fairly clean ... there are some things I would not want
in my own makefile, because they're messy, but sometimes messy is the
only way to get where you're headed.

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).