Date:      Mon, 11 Jul 2005 19:08:20 +0100 (BST)
From:      "David Dooley" <dpd@raffles-it.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Geom and 5.4

Hi,

I hope somebody can guide me as to where I have gone wrong.

I have an Intel system with FreeBSD 5.3 installed. I have 1 system disk
and 8 other drives connected to 2 Promice IDE controllers. The system disk
is un-mirrored. The non-system disk are labled ad4 thru ad11. ad4 thru ad7
on controller 1 and ad8 thru ad11 on contoller 2. I have mirrored between
controllers

ad4 mirroed with ad8
ad5      ''      ad9
ad6      ''      ad10
ad7      ''      ad11

I was having lots and lots of stability problems from the disk subsystems
and was advised in an answer to a previous question to go to 5.4, so...

I downloded the CD ISO images of FreeBSD 5. I did a completly new install
of 5.4 on the system disk. When I ran the "gmirror load" to my shock and
delight all the geom drives were recognised and made available. after a
little time resyncing the mirrors all was working fine. Yahoooo.

The document I used to set up the GEOM stuff can be found at
http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/ I used the second set of
instructions, obviously I did not do it on the system partions but pretty
much massaged it to what I wanted to do on all my other disks.

So like a prat that can't leave well alone I decided to set up a local
copy of the source and rebuild the world and the kernel. This was done,
and all appeard to work fine. Builds completed with out errors and the
installed happend. I did a mergemaster and at this point I blated a
locally edited copy of /boot/loader.conf and removed the
'geom_mirror_load="YES"' directive, I didn't notice at the time, and went
ahead and did the reboot. The system started, but failed to complete when
it came to the fsck of the disk as mentioned in /etc/fstab.

Looked around and found that I had lost the directive from the loader.conf
as detailed in the document mentiond above, so put it back in and went for
a reboot.

This time the system booted and the geom drives were all attached and the
system then did it's 15 second wait for the SCSI stuff to settle, then
disaster. The system complained with the follwoing message

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/da0s1a
setrootbyname failed
ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
Root mount failed: 6

Manual root filesystem specification:
                       eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
  ?                  List valid disk boot devices
  <empty line>       Abort manual input

mountroot>

but any thing I type results in a error and the "Manual root filesystem
specification" being reprinted. Now I can take the "geom_mirror_load" load
directive out of the the loader.conf and the have the boot fail as it
cannot fsck the geom disk and then I cna do a manual load of the
geom_mirror, fsck the disk and do a control-D to finish the boot. This is
fine but a little messy and not very automatic in the event of a system
boot.

Can anyone sudjest a suitable work rounf that it more automatic or a way
to fix the problem permenantly.

I was thinking of creating a single disk geom'ed root disk, but I cannot
find an incantation to mirror the root disk partitons while preserving the
data on them.

Any assistance would be most apreciated.

Regards

David Dooley