Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 1995 13:11:42 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        ywliu@lin.wsl.sinica.edu.tw (Yen-Wei Liu)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fail to mount root after recompiling kernel

Yen-Wei Liu stands accused of saying:
> > Hmm.  IIRC, you have an IDE disk in this machine as well?  You'll need to
> > boot hd(1,a) for this to work.
>
> Yes. I use hd(1,a) to boot and it works !! This only leaves more questions
> to me : why the bootstrap code automatically select sd(1,a) rather than
> hd(1,a) ? (A bug ?) Why orginally sd(1,a) (or whatever it selected
> automatically) worked but not any more ? (A bug ?)

You would never have been able to boot in that situation unless you
specified hd(1,a).  The "bug" is that it is impossible for the bootstrap
to tell what disk it is on; the problem is complicated and not easy to
explain unless you already understand it 8)

> I will try to re-install my FreeBSD several times until I can pinpoint
> where went wrong.

Nothing went 'wrong' per se, you just Can't Do That (tm).

> Yen-Wei Liu

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[