Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 11:44:56 +0100 (BST)
From:      Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        dg@root.com, joelh@gnu.org, tom@uniserve.com, gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG, irc@cooltime.simplenet.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Download of FreeBSD 3.0-SNAP

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:

> >    FreeBSD's disksort function sorts by block number, not by cylinder number.
>
> Hence it being non-optimal; see Mike's post... optimial is "always does
> exactly the right thing".  It's not pessimal, either (as Mike pointed
> out, too).

What's "exactly the right thing" though? If you have two I/O limited
processes trying to access opposite ends of the disk, you probably max out
the throughput by preferring the transfer closest to where the heads
currently are. This will almost certainly result in the 'unlucky' process
getting I/O starved, which may not be acceptable.