Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 1996 11:44:43 -0500
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   (looking for good...) Multi-port serial devices

Howdy. After a 4 day stint working with Digiboard PC/16Xe cards, I've
come to the conclusion that with the driver provided with FreeBSD, they
can't stream all the ports to 57600 at the same time (the ports just stop
xmitting data, and ppp links and ftp transfers stall, then die).

I've worked with the Boca ATIO66 cards, getting 12 ports per machine, but
I'm looking for a better footprint - approaching 32-64 serial ports per
pentium (or pentium pro) that can handle 57600+ on all channels
at the same time. I'm assuming the problem with the Digiboard is due to the
polled IO (certain channels just get "lost"), but I haven't verified
this yet. All channels work fine independantly, and in small groups (<5
streaming at once).

Anyhow, if anyone has any suggestions as to hardware that they've tried that
will physically support this port density, please let me know.
	-Brian